Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Devil Made Me Do It

It's 11:30AM, I'm at work with a lull in office activity at the moment. The sun is shining, the temperature is oh so pleasant, and my mind is toying with my body.

"What do you say we get out during our lunch break and do a 3-mile run?" my mind gingerly asks.

"Just a minute. Let me look at those flags across the parking lot," my body responds.

"Yeah, take a look and get back to me," my mind says.

"Shoot. They're flipping 'n flapping pretty darn hard. It doesn't look like a perfect day for running to me," my body says.

"If we wait for perfect days, we'll be waiting forever. Come on. Be a sport. Please," my mind pleads.

"You're ruthless. Whatever you say always rules so I might as well not argue with you," my body grumbles.

"I promise that after the triathlon this year, I'll go easy on you from then on. I'll make sure you enjoy our workouts from then on. OK?" my mind says.

"I'll have to see it to believe it. Alright. I admit it'll will feel extra good lying on the couch tonight watching American Idol," my body says.

"Oh, yeah. When Lon dishes up the ice cream and raspberries you won't have a single reason to feel guilty. It'll be calories that you need, calories you can savor and swallow with total justification for every single spoonful," my mind says.

"You're a devil, do you know that? YOU WIN AGAIN. Take me then, I'm all yours," my body says.

"You know I'll never leave you or forsake you," my mind says.

"How about some good news?" my body retorts.

And so it goes.

4 comments:

Gullible said...

Oh, dear. Could you tell me how long you've had these two persons inside your head?

Annie said...

I came over from 777 Peppermint Place! I really like your posts! Although I my exercise tends to be hitting the recliner and turning the pages of a good book! I have added you to my blogroll so your light can be shared with others! I look forward to reading more about you and your adventures with life. :)

Walk said...

My nose is the only thing that runs here. I ran once and all I can say is that my belly needs a sports bra. All that bouncing around almost made my kidneys pull loose.

K.M. Weiland said...

I think that person in your head must visit on the sly with the person in my head. The weather makes excuses too easy; I finally gave up on jogging and started jumping rope. Now I don't have excuse for my excuses!