Monday, September 14, 2009

THE BIG READ



I attended the kick-off event for The Big Read through which all of Beloit will be encouraged to read Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. I spoke of this previously on my blog in a post titled "Regarding: To Kill a Mockingbird", posted on August 30th, if you'd like to get the background information.

The kick-off event took place at the new Beloit Public Library with several notable persons speaking for a few minutes. Carl Balson (BPL Board of Trustees), Judy Robson (State Senator), Chuck Benedict (State Legislator), a professor of Sociology from Beloit College (I missed his name )and Roger Dutcher (Interim BPL Director), among others, shared their thoughts on the importance of reading in general and specifically in reference to Harper Lee's book. Ben Hartzel, a Beloit College senior, gave a dramatic reading of Chapters 1 and 2.

Everyone in attendance was given a copy of the Lee's book which they were encouraged to pass on to someone else. This was the first time I'd joined in anything like this and I enjoyed being in the company of other book lovers.
*
I look forward to attending the lectures, "Caterpillars and Cocoons: Why So Many People (But Not All) Love To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Harper Lee: The Writer's Plight."

The film screening and discussion with Beatrice McKenzie, Beloit College Prof. of History, and the book discussion with Ann Bausum also interest me.
*
Thus in the next few weeks I will be learning my way around the Beloit College campus and spending more time than usual at the BPL.
*
I posted pictures of the brand new Beloit Public Library here on my blog in my post dated Tuesday, May 19th, "Shhhhh! You're Entering a Library."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that you are joining in these groups and I hope you share your experience as you go. I am very interested in hearing how about the discussions.

Jeni - Beloit Public Library said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the Big Read Kick-Off event. Hope to see you at other events as well!

Sarah said...

yes, i hope so too darksculptures! i think this is great Shaddy. I can't wait to hear about the events you attend for this. LOVE the library for doing this.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great event! I have to admit I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird - but it's on my list!

Cheryl Peters said...

darksculptures: I'm excited. I'll share as I go.
Jeni: I hope to see you again, too.
Sarah: I'm looking forward to going to the college locations too.
Outlaw Lady: I hope you read it. The movie is wonderful too.