Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Odds and Ends

I'm not done with Door County yet! I still have a few odds and ends to share from our recent trip. Without further ado:

We parked our trailer in Wagon Trails Campground in the northern reaches of Door County.



That's me, queen of the trailer!
















This is a yurt. Awesome, isn't it? This yurt is a circular tent-like structure, 16 feet in diameter, secured to a finished floor, with a large skylight dome at the roof center. It has a double bed with a bunk above and one set of bunk beds.

Several yurts are available for rent.









These photos were taken at Wagon Trails Resort, just down the road from the campground.









































Lon threw in his line for the fun of it but didn't get lucky.

































These extraordinary hay bale creations are across the highway from The Log Den Great Food & Spirits on Hwy. 42.
*
The Log Den is a fabulous establishment that made our eyes pop out the first time we saw it and went inside. The owners are exceptionally friendly and the food is great too.






























Lovely miscellaneous sights abound.



































This weathered vehicle reminded me of Bonnie and Clyde's car with its shattered windshield.

































































































He stood quietly, wooden-like when we passed.


































We prowled around the Lilac Corner Farm and found some unexpected objects of interest. I love the cow.
















































































Ephraim's setting is delightful.





























The Hardy Gallery is the premier non-profit organization in Door County with the sole purpose of promoting and encouraging local artists, inspiring youth, supporting merging artists and celebrating the Peninsula's veteran artists.






































































Care to sit for a spell?








































































Relaxing is encouraged in this corner of the world.






















Big waters call for big boats and vice versa.




































































I can't get enough of these sunsets, can you?

















































































The photos below were taken in Peninsula State Park.














































































We bought this cute framed bird drawing, created with achival soft pastels by George Burr, at his gallery in Ephraim. Aren't they adorable? The candle, we purchased at the Flying Pig Gallery, which I featured in a previous blog post. I've been enjoying its "spicy chai" scent.
*
That's all folks. I hope you've enjoyed the ride. To tell you the truth, I'm glad I've finished this project of mine. Posting all these photos takes time, yet, you're all worth it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more I read about Door County, the more I nag my poor husband to take a trip. The yurt was over the top and will probably be the method I use to convince him. He has always wanted to buy a yurt.

Out of curiosity, how do you find these wonderful sights? The style of travel that Lon and you do is much to our liking. We could use a few pointers on how to plan a nice trip so we don't end up driving in circles.

Rob said...

Thanks for taking us on this ride as well. :) Hail to the Queen!

Cheryl Peters said...

darksculptures: In Door County, there's basically one main highway. We just let the highway take us from place to place. Then we go back to the same places year after year, expanding our horizons a little each time.

Rob: It's my pleasure. You can get up off your knees now.

Gullible said...

Fascinating journey, Shaddy. Thanks for the pix. I see you have a good eye for the oddball and eclectic.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Love this post Shaddy!
It's the whimsical 'hay bale creation'...LUV!
BIG Cheers to all the creativity we find around us!
~xo*

Cheryl Peters said...

Gully: Do you have trouble with creating posts? I often end up with huge gaps between photos that take me forever to delete. I swear, I'll loose my mind. Something that should take an hour, takes two or more.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I do love capturing the rare and unusual.

Lenore: I never cease to be amazed by the creativity that so many people possess and use to make life more enjoyable for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Auntie enjoys your pictures, I think you should go to work for the Chamber of Commerce of Door Cty., or take pictures for Post Cards like Ray did which is a very lucrative profession. If you like sunsets you must some day go to Key West, the sunset there is fabulous , people flock to this one hotel to see the sunset, it looks like it is going off the end of the earth.

Cheryl Peters said...

Auntie: I like writing and taking pictures and putting them on my blog. I have no one to answer to but myself. I'm afraid to make a job of it, for fear I'd lose the joy I get from it. Ya know?

I'm flattered that you think they're that good.

Walk said...

Take another trip....quick, before winter sits in and we have to wait 6 months for more pic's of your travels.

Cheryl Peters said...

Walk: We're done using our trailer until next year. Fear not, Walk. We'll be traveling to near Detroit for Thanksgiving, Door County again in February and Siesta Key, FL in March. Yup, we're doing our living now...who knows what tomorrow may bring!

What have you been up to besides trouble?

Sarah said...

Ok, I'm in, let's see if this works...and it lets me actually post a comment....

BRAVO SHADDY!!!!!!!! No, I can never get enough of those sunsets. Ever! These are beautiful. They make me so happy. (and make me want to get back up there pronto). I love the hay bale creations too! Those are great!! People are so creative sometimes.

Thanks for taking us along on your adventure in Door County. It's a wonderful place and you've captured it so well. I just love this post my dear!

I am cracking up over here at "he stood quietly, wooden-like as we passed." You're so good Shaddy...

Cheryl Peters said...

Sarah: Thank you, thank you, thank you for the bushel basket full of wonderful comments. Aren't we lucky to be only a few hours away from the Door?

Annie said...

I love being able to travel to Door County through your eyes. My favorite was the sunsets. What a wonderful way to wind down, relax and end a Thursday. Thank you for sharing your trip!

Cheryl Peters said...

Annie: Well, knowing you enjoy coming along makes it all more exciting for me.