Sunday, September 12, 2010

Little Flying Bandits aka Chickadees




Today, I'm featuring the Black-capped Chickadee. I love its small, compact body and the deep contrast between the black cap and throat patch and the white chest and tan belly. In my opinion, everything about this little critter is just too cute.





Males and females are identical in markings and colors. My field guide tells me they can be easily tamed and hand fed. Now that would be great fun! Perhaps when I retire, I'll have time to tame and make friends with a Black-capped Chickadee or two.



In upcoming posts, I'll feature the sparrows and finches you also see in these photos.


Before I run off, I must add this observation. Black-capped Chickadees remind me of little bandits wearing masks to hide their faces.
*
(If you'd like to see close-up photos of a female Downy Woodpecker, please go to my previous post).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Chickadees too! These are great pictures Shaddy, thanks for posting them. I love learning about the little cuties :)I would love to learn how to tame them too....

Happy Sunday!

Cheryl Peters said...

SARIE: They're darlings, aren't they. I caught a few birds with their wings spread as they were about to land on a perch. I'll post that photo soon.

Gullible said...

Do you have nuthatches there?

Anonymous said...

These are so cute. I put out my first hummingbird feeder two days ago, but I've had no luck spotting any so far.

Thanks for sharing your backyard picnic patrons.

Cheryl Peters said...

GULLY: Yes, red-breasted and white-breasted.

DARKSCULPTURES: It may take them a while to find your feeder. We put up a hummingbird feeder recently too and I've seen one come to it but haven't even come close to getting a photo. Maybe some day...

Thanks to you for letting me share my humble offerings with you.

glass display cabinets said...

the nature is simply beutiful !

Cheryl Peters said...

IN REPLY TO GLASS DISPLAY CABINETS COMMENT: It sure is! Thank you for stopping here and especially for your thoughts. Come again!

Natasha said...

I do love chickadees! Very sweet pics....

Cheryl Peters said...

NATASHA: They seem to be popular with nearly everyone. Glad you enjoyed getting close to one.