|Before I left for work this morning, I walked around the yard with a cup of coffee. I found these two unwelcome guests hanging out in the bark chips on the north side of our lot. Since they weren't there yesterday evening, they had to have snuck in during the night.|
Upon searching the internet, I discovered this awful sight is "dog vomit slime mold." I also learned that it's not harmful to plants, animals or humans and can't be prevented from showing up. It grows in mulch.
I didn't have time to dispose of it before I left for work, but during my lunch hour I immediately went to it. I scooped it up easily with a small shovel and wrapped it up in a sheet of tin foil and disposed of it in the garbage.
I've seen numerous types of mushrooms around the yard over the last several weeks, but this slime mold makes them look much more acceptable.
I hope I haven't ruined your day. I just couldn't resist sharing this unusual finding of mine. If you find something similar in your bark chips or mulch, at least you'll know what it is.