Friday, January 20, 2012

Outside My Window

He looks majestic in red, doesn't he.

I saw more than one male cardinal today.  See the second one on the lower left side?  I was relaxing with my laptop this afternoon when I was distracted by this activity outside my window. 


A female cardinal sat on a branch waiting for her turn at the feeder.  Although she's much more subdued in color, she's pretty in her own way.

This fellow is nearly invisible against the background of white snow and the shades of gray and brown of the hedge where he is perched.
Even the seeds that fall into the snow are eaten.  I like to see that.


The brilliant red cardinal is anything but invisible.  Every time it snows, I'm impressed by the contrast of the red against white.  It makes me pause and stare.

I don't like the cold temperatures of winter but I love the look of freshly fallen snow, the hush  when I step outside and the brightness of the sun when it sparkles on the endless white blanket.

7 comments:

Sarie said...

Oh Shaddy! These are sooooooo beautiful. That first one took my breath away. He does look majestic in red and I love him! That's a gorgeous picture. I owe you for posting these so quickly! I needed them tonight. I could look at these for days. Love the birdies, as you know :).

Hope your birthday was fabulous, just like you!

Gullible said...

That's a terrific photo, Shaddy/.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

That is the best kind of view...i bet you can watch them for hours!

Annie said...

Love these pictures...saw a cardinal yesterday but poor things they look so cold I wanted to bring them in my house. But with the cats...well probably not a good idea! HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend!

Mistress Maddie said...

I ask, is there anything better than a red amle cardinal against all the white stuff? I love watching them. Today out my windows there are some lively junko's and phoebe's feeding off the fallen bird seed. Happy Winter Shaddy. Lovely pictures as always, thank you for sharing them.

Vanessa Wolfram said...

He's so pretty!

Cheryl Peters said...

SARIE: You motivated me to post this. I took 28 pictures and wanted to post several of them but I had trouble with blogger. Finally, I got tired and frustrated and just sent these. I'm so glad you enjoyed them.

GULLY: Thanks, Gully.

LENORE: If I wasn't so hyper!!

ANNIE: Thanks, Annie. I think their feathers serve them well in the cold.

MADDIE: It sounds like you enjoy bird watching too. Happy Winter back to you!

VANESSA: He is indeed!