Saturday, June 9, 2012

Baby Bunnies In My Backyard

Could there be anything cuter than this baby bunny?

I captured the above photo shortly after he left the nest.  I just HAD to capture your attention with this shot; now I'll back up and show you previous pictures.
 
I first noticed the nest when I was weeding this flower bed. 

Under a layer of mother bunny fur and grass, I found these little critters.  (I read on the internet that the human scent won't cause mother rabbits to abandon their young). 

I checked the nest several times over a period of about two weeks.  I don't know how many babies there were but I'd guess at least six.  I was tempted to take them out and count them but didn't want to frighten them any more than I already had.
 
I tried to restrain myself, but I couldn't resist peeking at least once a day to see how they were progressing.  Could you stay away?

After each visit, I covered them back up with the fur and grass their mother has assembled.  I added the leaves on an especially hot day, hoping it would block the sun's rays.

I knew it would happen eventually, but I was kind of sad on the day I found the empty nest.  I searched the area but didn't see a single baby bunny.

Later that same day, as I was working in the area of the nest, I saw this single bunny.  I didn't see any of the others so I was worried about him.  I put him back in the nest, thinking perhaps his mother would come back for him.  He wanted no part of the nest anymore and quickly exited it. He sat quietly so I took a deep breath and reluctantly left him to his own devices. 

A few hours later, I almost stepped on him.  Of course, I don't know if this was the same bunny I'd seen earlier. He was across the backyard, near our cone flower bed.  At first I didn't know if he was alright; he was so quiet.  I poked him gently and he scooted under the cone flowers.  That's the last I've seen of him.

Rabbits can be pests, especially around flowers.  I've often been angry with them over the years after finding my flowers in shambles.  After chancing upon and observing this litter in my own backyard, I'll look at things a bit differently.

What's going on in your yard?

3 comments:

Gullible said...

Awwwww. Bunnies are so cute. I have a wild hare (there's got to be a joke in there somewhere) that has taken a liking to the cement apron in front of my garage doors. Haven't figured out yet what he's up to.

Cheryl Peters said...

GULLY: Maybe the wild hare is hanging around in hopes of joining you on one of your trips to town. Seeing you have a few wild hairs, he knows it'll be a good time!!

Sarie said...

There is nothing cuter than these baby bunnies, you're right!! What an adorable little guy. I think Chuck wants to be friends with him. He'd take care of him. Like he's doing with his doggie brother, who's sick, this week. We never have bunnies here. Lots of birdies, but no bunnies. I know they can be a nuisance for flowers, but they're so cute :)