Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Baby Robins Grow Up Fast


Lon spotted this robin's nest along the south side of our property.  He wouldn't have noticed it if he hadn't been trimming the hedge where it was hidden.

I grabbed my camera and went to see for myself.  I don't know how many babies were in the nest but they were good-sized already.

I zoomed in real close to get this shot of mother robin.  She was definitely keeping an eye on me!

She stayed perfectly still as I kept taking pictures.

When the babies were alone again, I captured more pictures of them.  I love the expression on this one's face as he peered out at me. 

Poor little guy.  Looks like he's having a bad feather day.

He read my mind and now he's giving me the evil eye! 

Is that a small bald spot on the back of his head?  I'm just asking.

Uh oh!  He finally became so offended at me that he stuck his nose (beak) in the air and refused to look at me.

And then one day, when I wasn't looking, he and his siblings slipped away.  I stared at the empty nest and hoped they were all doing fine.

While I type this, I see several robins hopping around in the back yard.  None have matted feathers or bald spots on their heads.  One is particularly regal looking and he's staring right at me.  He wants me to say something nice after my not-so-flattering comments earlier.

And so, without further ado:

  I'm thrilled to report that the youngster we saw in the nest has grown into an especially fine-looking specimen of a robin and that I'm delighted to remind you that he has the honor of being Wisconsin's state bird. 

2 comments:

Linda McMann said...

Aww, way to go Auntie Shaddy! Hopefully they will stay around to serenade you.

Sarie said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww. How much do I love them?!? A lot!! Great pictures of your cute little friends Shaddy. I love this!