Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cardinal Fledglings Two Days Old

I was lucky to get this face-to-face shot of one of our resident cardinal fledglings.  Is he comical or what!!  Ya just gotta love that face.

Fledglings need lots of quick naps between feedings.  They often strain their necks and open their mouths even when the adults aren't there.  Positive thinking? 

Their wide open mouths make it easy for the male and female adults to feed their young ones.  I would love to capture them being fed.  Trust me, I'll be trying. 

Hey, that's how I look when I wake up in the morning, stretch and yawn.

The third egg still hasn't hatched.  The other two broke open on Sunday, two days ago.  Maybe tomorrow will be the third fledgling's birthday.

I often find MaMa cardinal faithfully perched on the nest.  She's a trooper in spite of this long stretch of 100 degree days.


HAPPY 4TH of JULY to ALL of YOU!!

(See my previous blogs for more pictures of the cardinals).

4 comments:

Walk said...

Love those Cards, I've never found one of their nests, guess I better keep an eye out. Our mockingbird must have some young'uns as she dive bombs me whenever I get close to her tree.

Cheryl Peters said...

WALK: This is my experience with baby cardinals. I'm mesmerized by them!

Let me know if you notice any young mockingbirds around. We don't get those here.

Happy 4th!

Beth said...

Amazing photos, Cheryl. Good going!

Cheryl Peters said...

BETH: Thank you, my friend. How've you been?