Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Spring BUZZY Seed Project

I bought this kit to see if I can grow tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers and sweet peppers from seeds.  I don't know where the urge to do this came from but I absolutely couldn't ignore it.

I debated over how to go about my spring project and ultimately decided on this $4.99 kit because it contained everything I need.

I like to have things spelled out for me so having these handy instructions on the back of the bag met my needs.  My dad grew vegetables in his large backyard garden so that gave me confidence that I can do it too.  My biggest problem will be where to plant this stuff outside when it's time for that.  We love our beautiful yard and flowers and hate to disrupt what we've created.  Lon seems a bit nervous about that.  Oh well, I'll worry about that tomorrow.  (I learned that strategy after reading GONE WITH THE WIND a few months ago. :) 

Toms, cukes, pepps and letts, what more could I want?  Can you believe I've named my offspring already!

I mixed the growing medium with water in a bowl and filled the pots. I counted out and added the seeds.  These tiny seeds pictured above promise to grow into tomato plants.

I identified this pot with the included label and covered the tomato seeds with a layer of growing medium.  I'm so anal, I called the Buzzy company to find out exactly how deep to cover them.  I was told 1/8 to 1/4 inch, in other words, not deep at all.

The sweet pepper seeds look like this.  I should have taken pictures of the lettuce and cucumber seeds too,but I must have been overly excited about my project and it slipped my mind.  The cucumber seeds were the biggest.  I liked them because they didn't stick to my fingers when I was trying to drop them into the "dirt."    

Since my memory is lousy, I wrote the planting date on the back of the pot labels.

I have a perfect window in the kitchen with plenty of light coming from outside in three directions.  We put this "garden" window in many, many years ago, not realizing how invaluable it would be at this time in my life.  :) 
 
I'm glad I bought this mister.  It really does work well for keeping the growing medium moist without disturbing the tiny seeds.

If this all sounds a bit familiar, it's because I bought a single-pot tomato growing kit a few weeks ago.  I'm pretty sure I featured it here.  Since I was away on vacation, it didn't get watered regularly.  I haven't given up on it though.   My brother, Carl, told me it still might be okay.

At 64, do you think I'm too old to be starting a second family?

No comments: