Saturday, August 30, 2014

Beer Journal #10: A Week's Worth of Beers

Totally Naked is the eighth New Glarus beer I've had. Totally Naked is a lager which the brewery owners, Daniel and Deborah Carey, proclaim "is beer at its most basic."

After the many "heavy duty" beers I've been drinking, I found Totally Naked to be too weak.

Scrimshaw is my first beer brewed by North Coast Brewing Company of Fort Bragg, California.  Scrimshaw is a pilsner-style beer.

I would gladly have another of these.

Viking Afternoon is brewed especially for afternoon enjoyment, something I found quite amusing. Furthermore Brewing of Black River Falls, WI, advises "Save the big beers for later, you still have chores to do."  Viking Afternoon is an IPA, a "teeter-totter IPA."

I enjoyed this beer is every way. The drinkability, the beer name and the label details were all to my liking.  On top of all that, Furthermore Brewing is an unexpected and appealing company name.   

I rated Honey Blonde as excellent, not too weak, yet not too strong. Honey Blonde is an ale, brewed in Wisconsin Dells, WI, at Port Huron Brewing Company.

Living not far from New Glarus, WI, I can easily get my hands on all of the beers the New Glarus Brewing Company comes up with. Dancing Man is the ninth beer I've had brewed at this fairly local establishment. Daniel and Deborah encourage us to "Lick the foam from your mouth and admit sometimes you just gotta get up and dance." Dancing Man is a hefe-weizen wheat beer.

I didn't dance but my tastebuds did. The quiet presence of cloves and cinnamon prompted me to rate Dancing Man as a beer I would love to latch onto again.

Check out the freaky-looking fellow dominating the label on this White Rascal, Belgian-style white ale, brewed in Boulder, Colorado at Avery Brewing Company.

This "deviously delicious" brew, spiced with coriander and orange peel, is a beer I would be happy to enjoy again. 

Kink is an ale packed with 7.7% alc/vol. Watch your step with this one! Brewed by Ale Asylum in Madison, WI, Kink is a Belgian abbey. The label states that "Kink is brewed with passion and is best enjoyed that way."

I guarantee Kink would kick the kinks from your neck if you were ailing. I'm tempted to break my rule of having only one bottle of every beer to have another Kink.

2X Stout is another potent beer, weighing in at 7.5% alc/vol.  Southern Tier Brewing Company of Lakewood, NY makes this double milk stout which contains lactose sugars. It is brewed with 2 varieties of hops and 3 types of malts.

I must report that besides being a stout beer, the beer bottle was stubborn when it came to letting its label go. It took a major patch job to put the label back together after it came off in several pieces. But I got the job done and there it is in my album.

I reckon I'd say no if someone offered me another of these. It was too strong.

That's it for now. Until you tune in again,

CHEERS!

2 comments:

Cap said...

Thanks Shaddy for explaining that you always write a comment for the photo ABOVE the comment. I tend to go the other way .. the comment applies to the photo coming up as you scroll down. I think your way may be the way-to-go. Will think on it.

I missed what IPA means Shaddy. You may've explained it .. I just missed it.

Honey Blonde and Port Huron Brewing Company. We have a Port Huron Michigan at the southern end of Lake Huron of the Great Lakes. Such fun. Thanks .. Cap and Patti ..

Cheryl Peters said...

CAP & PATTI: When I post a picture, I'm asked if I want to add a caption. When I indicate that I do, the caption automatically goes under the photo. So that's why my comments are below the corresponding photo. It's out of my hands, so to speak.

IPA stands for India Pale Ale.

How are things in Michigan now? I imagine you use your spare time to work on Part III of your cruise blog post?

Smiles(borrowing your sign off word),
Shaddy