Friday, August 22, 2014

Beer Journal #5: A Few Beers & Their Priceless Labels





I enjoyed the beers in this blog post on August 18th through the 21st, 2014.
"Rocky's Revenge" is the third beer I've had that's brewed and bottled at Tyranena Brewing Co. in Lake Mills, Wisconsin. I love the creative names they give their beers.  The other two beers from this brewery that I've had are "Headless Man" and "Three Beaches Honey Blonde."

The New Glarus Brewing Co. is located not far from my home.

"Two Women" is the seventh beer I've had that's made in New Glarus.  Creativity abounds in the naming of these beers, for instance, "Moon Man," "Yokel," "Spotted Cow," "Back 40," "Fat Squirrel" and "Coffee Stout" are the uniquely named beers I've enjoyed so far.

These brewery owners always sign their name to the narrative on the bottle label. The "Back 40" label reads like this: "The 'Back Forty' is property commonly found on the outskirts of the Wisconsin family farm. Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure - forts, tree houses, rope swings and first kisses! A place to run away, to camp, to climb, to build, to play. Not actually home but not too far away. That's the Back Forty. The beer you hold is similar, both dark and adventurous, still smooth and familiar.  Here's a beer you can enjoy without pretense or explanation. Every mind requires some acres of possibility, space for dreams, the great escape, everyone needs a back forty.  Cheers, Daniel & Deborah Carey."
 

Initially, I photographed each new beer and shared a little bit of information from the label. Here are two examples: 

Leinie's Red Lager is a "Vienna-style lager, carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel family for five generations. The pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."  I'm looking forward to sampling the many other beers brewed by this company. 

And then there's "Little Sumpin'" brewed by Lagunitas Brewing Company in Petaluma, California.  It really is something!!!!

First, it is 7.5% alc. by vol.  Need I say it's pretty potent?  I got a kick out of the words that border the label on the bottle front.  "So, we're all on collective disability. That's cool. Let's put some ice on it and keep ourselves elevated for a while. So, what's on the tube? Honey..? Get me a beer from the frige..Will ya..? Sweetie..? Pleease..?"

What a hoot!!!

The label also states:  Life is uncertain.  Don't sip.

Beers, such as this, motivate me to keep trying as many different ones as I can find.  Besides the relaxation a beer provides, entertainment is often an added bonus.   

No comments: