Saturday, May 23, 2009

Extra! Extra! Read All About It


I'd like to thank Linda Yezak for inviting me to become a member of ChristianWriters.com. Linda e-mailed me yesterday and I didn't waste any time going to the website. I looked around the site and searched the FAQ page.

Quoting the answer to What is ChristianWriters.com?: "ChristianWriters.com is a non-denominational volunteer ministry. Our mission is to provide a supportive, family atmosphere where writers may easily access the tools and resources to create, market, and publish their work."

To become a "new" member I provided a few very basic bits of personal information. I replied to five posts in the General Discussion Forums and was automatically upgraded to CW member status. As a CW member, I was allowed to enter the Writers' Workshops. Writers can submit their "works in progress" to the workshops for critiquing by fellow members. So far, I've only been able to read and critique other writer's submissions. I'm not sure how many critiques I'm required to write before I can submit my own work for others to read. Presently, I'm flying by the seat of my pants. I'm enjoying reading other writers' work for now.

I'm impressed with what I've seen. Terms of service and participation guidelines are spelled out in no uncertain terms. "We strive to maintain a friendly, productive atmosphere for all members and guests. To meet this goal, we expect all members and visitors to know and abide by the rules of our site. Failure to comply with these rules will lead to infraction points or banning from ChristianWriters.com."

Under the terms and guidelines, among many others, is: "No foul language, obscenity, sexually explicit or descriptive, inflammatory or hate material is acceptable on this site."

Regarding whether a person must be a Christian to participate: "ChristianWriters.com wholeheartedly encourages people of other faiths to visit our site, utilize our tools, and fellowship with our writers. It is our hope and prayer that sincere communication will lead to greater, more accurate understanding of the Christian faith and a right relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Please keep in mind, however, that ChristianWriters.com is not a debate site. While visitors with an open heart and mind are always welcome, troublemakers are not. Anyone who displays harassing, threatening, or otherwise aggressive or disrespectful behavior will be dealt with promptly and banned from this site without notice. "

I look forward to spending time on this site. I failed to mention that there are no membership fees. Membership is free. I would be foolish not to take advantage of this opportunity to rub elbows with others who love writing as much as I do.

If you want to check it out, go to http://www.christianwriters.com/.

Once again, I thank Linda for "ushering me into the fold."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is is a cool site. The debates get interesting too.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you joined. I think the site is wonderful--I've made many cyberfriends there. You're going to be a great asset, too. Happy dance, Happy dance!!!

Linda/pprmint777

Rob said...

Thanks for the review Shaddy! I'll have to give this place a visit soon - for years I've considered writing some Christian fiction for children's books - this might be a good place to start. Thanks again!

K.M. Weiland said...

CW's my home away from home on the Web. I stumbled across it several years ago in search of a writing community, and I've never had to look farther. Glad to see you there, Shaddy! And I hope your post encourages lots more folks to join us!

Keith Wallis said...

I'm a moderator at CW. We are always glad to meet new folk. We are in essence a'co-operative' where we do our best to encourage and help each other - which in the cut and thrust of life today is something of a rarity. Pleased to have you aboard.

Patty Schuyler said...

What a nice review of a great place. I've been a member for some time now and I just love it.

Lynnette Bonner said...

Nice to see such a great review for CW. It is a very encouraging, wonderful place to hang on the web. See you over there.