Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Laptop Versus His Campfire


A few days ago, I made the statement that there is always something to write about when I sit down at my laptop, whether I know it before hand or not. I promised that as long as I had eyes, ears, ten fingers and a brain, I would write.

On this Memorial Day Eve, all of the aforementioned body parts are in good operating condition, so I write. Today, as I look into the backyard, I don't notice the flowers and birds so much as my husband, sitting in a lawn chair, listening to a ball game and enjoying a campfire.
-
It's just a bit darker than broad daylight, but Lon has had enough of the day and is kicking back and determined to relax for the next few hours. In his opinion, life doesn't get any better than being in his own backyard, enjoying nature and sipping a beer or two. He always sets up a chair for me and I make a point of joining him, but, unfortunately, I'm only beside him for short periods of time.
-
I love Lon and I've no reason or desire to avoid him or his company. It's just that, I have trouble sitting there. I don't enjoy listening to ballgames, and I can only look at a campfire for a short time before I get antsy. A good book or the desire to write always lures me back inside. I placate my guilt by reasoning that I don't expect him to leave his "heaven" to join me inside with my books and laptop. That would be equally difficult and unappealing to him.
-
At our pub table in the kitchen, I have the same view of him as in the photo above. The sliding door is open and we can talk to each other easily. We've known each other for forty three years and know each other inside and out. We've learned to respect each other's likes and dislikes and to sidestep disagreements that only emphasize our differences.
-
It's comforting that we can be together and yet not suffocate each other by making demands on each other's time and choices. Well, it's time for me to go take a seat by the fire and chit chat with my better half. A beer sounds good too.
-
Happy Memorial Day to all.

7 comments:

Gullible said...

Ah, now. Finally a photo of the Man Who Loves Shaddy. Enjoy that beer...and Lon, too.

Kathryn Lang said...

I usually take a note book with me to these "quiet" situations and jot down any titles, outlines or general ideas that I can use to write about later. I have to admit that there is something about the smell and crackle of a fire that just sets my muse to dancing!

Sarah said...

Cute picture Shaddy. He looks content. He's lucky he can relax like this. I have a hard time doing these things too - there's always something to do, right?

What did you write last night? I mean, besides this sweet little blog post :)....

xoxo,
Sarie

Cheryl Peters said...

Gully-I'm keeping Lon to myself so no one will snatch him away. :)
Kathryn-I like your idea. I'll try it.
Sarie-Besides this blog, I spent most of my time last night on the CW site, reading and critiquing members' work, a requirement before I can put my work there for other members to look over. Also, I'm learning how to get around on the site, asking questions and trying to get a feel for it. It's somewhat overwhelming; I'm getting a lot of e-mail related to discussions etc. where I've posted comments.

Thanks to all for stopping here.

K.M. Weiland said...

Lovely backyard. And the "civilized campfire" is great too!

Tina said...

You have a pub table in your kitchen? How cool is THAT????

Rob said...

Shaddy - I've only been married 14.5 years but this post gives me hope for many more moments together with my wife, understanding one another and growing together in our marriage. Thanks again for writing!