Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Speaking of Food...







We've eaten here at Joe Jo's several times through the years. They offer great pizza and unbelievably wonderful gelato in 18 flavors.







We enjoy visiting with Jo, the owner as she comes and goes. I told her I'd put her picture on my blog. She seemed a bit leery when she asked me what I call it and I told her it's Paper Cut Screams. (Jo made the quilts on the walls; she's made lots of them).









Wilson's has tasty cones and is a popular restaurant in an awesome location overlooking Green Bay.


Oh, my! I can't believe I ate the whole thing.





Al Johnson's restaurant has grass growing on the roof and a goat to keep it mowed.






















Pizza again? That's what we had last night! Oh, but here it's cooked over a wood fire and, besides, we've rarely met a pizza we didn't love.
These hostesses caught my eye with their funky outfits. What about that footwear? I'm old so of course I don't get it. I guess they're doing their best to put a face to the restaurant name, Wild Tomato.






The Wild Tomato has a wood stove for cooking their handmade pizzas. Tossing dough for the crust looks easy when this guy does it.













The chef is a busy, busy man, mixing up the dough, making the crust, adding the ingredients and sliding his masterpieces into the stove.












We've dined here in the past, but not this trip. Several dining areas are available inside and out with a splendid fireplace. It's located right across the street from the condo we stay at when we come up for the Winter Festival in February.










We didn't eat here where the umbrellas are either, but I took a picture because I liked the evening lighting.



















*************These fall flowers lined the walk to the White Gull Inn & Restaurant. (I posted a picture of the restaurant but it seems I lost it in the publishing process). They're famous for their fish boils. Folks watch while the fish and potatoes are cooked in huge kettles on the patio in back. It's a tradition for lots of people but not for us. We partook a few years ago and discovered we just plain don't like boiled fish although watching the cooking process is kind of fun. We ate breakfast at the White Gull on Monday before we drove back home to Beloit.
*
Lon fixed bacon, eggs, toast and pancakes for breakfast on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We skipped lunch and opted for an ice cream cone or some such treat instead.

Obviously, we aren't into fine dining. We choose to spend less money on our meals so we can spend it on other things, like stuff for the house or clothes for ourselves. We both enjoy the wide variety of shops scattered about and find great joy in peeking inside to see what's behind their doors. I'll be sharing that aspect of our long weekend soon.
(If you want more of Door County, Wisconsin, you can find it in my previous posts).

8 comments:

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

oooh...The chef looks cute (ehem-ehem...)
wish you had more pix of him (blush-blush)
;)

Rob said...

Ah pizza, the stuff of the gods. I've never had it made over and open flame. Somehow that just sounds far better though. That place would be a huge hit with we Hortons on family night ( the only day we eat pizza ).

Beth W. said...

I have enjoyed this great tour of Door County so much. It's an area of the country I was not familiar with. It is so pretty and looks like fun (even the zip line). I really like the way you are showcasing the local craftspeople, restauranteurs and other small business folks.

Another blog buddy of mine is David St. Lawrence, over at Making Ripples. The link is http://ripples.typepad.com/ David and his wife, Gretchen (a fine artist) live in Floyd, Virginia. He does alot of this kind of showcasing on his blog. Check it out when you have a chance -- I think you'll find a kindred spirit.

Cheryl Peters said...

Lenore: I never saw the chef smile so he didn't appear cute to me. I'm glad you got something from his photo!

Rob: It was a fun place for pizza. You and your family would like it alot, except for Bella. On second thought, she might be intrigued by the brightness of the fire.

Beth: I'm glad it's been fun reading about the Door and that it's been at least somewhat enlightening. David's blog sounds interesting to me. Thanks for the tip.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Happy Friday Shaddy dear!!!
xo*

Cheryl Peters said...

Lenore: You have a flipping-out fun Friday as well.

tina tarnoff said...

I have such desire for a slice of pizza, right now, and it's only 9 a.m. btw, I also think that the chef is cute. get the pics out, shaddy, and show us!

also, I love grass roofs, I wish we had one. is that goat real? hope you're having a nice weekend. xoxo

Cheryl Peters said...

Tina: The goat on the roof is real. He wasn't very active but we stood long enough to see him twitch an ear to prove he isn't a fraud.

If you send me your e-mail, I'll send you photos of the chef. How's that?