Saturday, December 12, 2009

Detroit Institute of Arts

























































































































































The Art of Dining Video, 18th Century European Banquet Table (above). You can sit at the table and get a feel for what it was like to be a part of a several course dinner in the 18th century.






















































































































































































































































































While we were in the Detroit area celebrating Thanksgiving, we visited DIA, the Detroit Institute of Arts, on Friday afternoon, November 27th, 2009. My oldest brother, Tom, treated us to a few hours of art appreciation. Although my camera battery died about half way through our tour, I've shown you some of what was on display.

I hope you enjoy the art I captured in these photographs.
*
(As always, you can click on the photos to enlarge them).

9 comments:

Annie said...

We just received a flyer with a coupon...sounds like a place to return to with my hubby for a date!

Lia said...

Hi Shaddy,
I loved the one of the craving, such skill is hard to find these days and even though I have been a joiner for over 30yrs, I would still struggle to product something that exquisite.
Looks like there was a lot to take in, in such a short time. I bet you totally enjoyed it.
What good taste your brother has in taking you there.
Much love,
Lia.
xx
Ps thanks for your encouragement, it means a lot to me. xx

Cheryl Peters said...

Annie: I'd like to be able to visit several times because there's way too much to really see at one time.

Lia: I did enjoy it. It was a great idea of my brother's. He drove us there and paid for our admission. So cool!

Anonymous said...

What a nice excursion, and your pictures are great,Auntie thinks you have a kind and thoughtful brother and glad he is my nephew.

Walk said...

I am surprised they let you take pictures. It seems the repeat flashing does something to the paintings. Maybe I was in a picky place. Looking at such a variety of mediums, it amazes me the talent of the artist.

Anonymous said...

Heaven, a place such as DIA is my vision of heaven! Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful photo's. I must go work on my painting now. Writing can wait until tomorrow.

Cheryl Peters said...

Auntie: I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. It was a great idea and I was thrilled that Tom came up with it. Going to museums isn't something Lon and I normally do, although we should.

Walk: I used a setting on my camera that doesn't flash. I agree that the huge variety of art work and artists is amazing. There was accompanying information to read with every piece of art. I would love to have the time to read about each item. That would take many, many visits.

darksculptures: I'd love to see what you're painting, my friend. A diversion from writing is often rejuvenating.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. I love the sculptures and the dishes/earthenware.

Cheryl Peters said...

dayner: I'm glad you enjoyed a peek at DIA.