Monday, November 1, 2010

Flip-Flopping Into NaNoWriNo

The final hours before I began writing my NaNoWriMo novel were torturous for me.  I was torn between writing what I presented in my last post and writing something totally alienated from myself.  At work this morning, I peeked at websites that offered plot ideas.  Just before I headed home at lunch time for my first official NaNoWriMo writing session, I came across an idea that appealed to me.  The following is an excerpt from page one of what I wrote today:
Mama!  Mama!
When Laura looked back at Cassie, all she saw was the back of a man's jacket as he hurried toward the door.  The baby seat on the grocery cart was empty.
"Mama!  Cassie's voice was muffled this time.  She already
sounded so far away and out of reach that Laura felt her heart sinking to depths she never knew existed.

Good grief!  Since I made it through the awful stress of several hours of plot indecision, I know I can make it through the next 30 days of writing.  I'm exhausted at this time, but will be invigorated again tomorrow as I venture into totally new writing territory.

(Please excuse the double spacing that kicked in a few lines ago.  I don't have a clue why the line spacing changed.  It certainly wasn't my idea).     

10 comments:

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

sounds exciting!
Plus NaNoWriMo, I might have to say it 10 times Shaddy!
;)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I flip-flopped or did a scissor kick, but I got started today, too. In case you want to add me as a Writer Buddy at NaNoWriMo, my "handle" is pinewoodswriter. Also, I'm playing around with Twitter again @ElizabWestmark.

Cheryl Peters said...

LENORE: Saying it 10 times may be more difficult than writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days!!!!

BETH: We're off and running.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh this sounds very exciting! I already want more!

Have fun and happy writing to everyone who's participating!

xxoo Shaddy

Cheryl Peters said...

SARIE: Thanks, my friend. Dancing with the Stars is interfering with my writing time. Actually, I'm watching the show and writing simultaneously. With all the commercials, it's not hard.

Annie said...

Sometimes it's the thoughts that occur at the last minute that are the best. How lucky you are to come for lunch and write :) I love this new start as well!!! Keep on going my friend....

Annie said...

I just noticed your present word count!!! WOW!!!!! And you just started!!!!!

Cheryl Peters said...

ANNIE: I'm trying to write at least close to 1667 words per day. At that pace, I'll reach the challenge goal at month's end. Perhaps on the weekends, I can write even more. With Thanksgiving approaching, if I'm ahead on my word count by then, I'll enjoy the holiday more.

I've had enough for today. It's time to sit back and read a book someone else has slaved over!

Thanks for cheering me on, Annie.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, intriguing. I'm currently writing about a stolen child for a second time. I don't know why the idea appeals to me. I guess it has something to do with a parent worst nightmare.

Cheryl Peters said...

DAYNER: I remember telling everyone just to have fun with NaNoWriMo. The subject of kidnapping isn't exactly a fun subject to dwell on but I'm staying at it.

Without pressure, I procrastinate at making decisions. With only thirty days to write this novel, I have to make specific choices as the story progresses and then develop the story in respect to that direction.

I'm stressing about whether I can continue the story to 50,000 words and keep it interesting as well. I've never really written much wherein I needed to keep in mind the elements required of a decent novel.

This is my great experiment in those tricky waters. I've got my life jacket right here in case I begin to flail and flounder. I know I'll be using it to keep me buoyant until midnight on Nov. 30th.