Friday, October 24, 2014

Beer Journal #28: Cheers to 3 Sheeps' Baaad Boy,Deschutes' Mirror Pond, 2XONE, Hop Whoopin' Beers & More

Baaad Boy
Black Wheat Ale
3 Sheeps Brewing Co.
Sheboygan, WI

Label fun:
Well, just look at all the sheep on the label. I'm not sure what that green thing is on the forehead of the dude in the forefront but his earrings are quite stunning! Oh my gosh! He's got a pierced eyebrow and nostril as well!

5.5% alc/vol

I gave this beer a So So rating on 10/18/14, but it rocks anyway.

It's truly BAAAD!

Mirror Pond
Pale Ale
Deschutes Brewery
Bend, Oregon

Label fun:
Crafted for explorers everywhere since 1988.
"A distinct hop nose and deft balance made this pale ale an instant classic. It is aromatically complex, multi-layered and unmistakably honest. Your handy compass of 'right' when exploring beer."

5.0% alc/vol

The best by date on my bottle of Mirror Pond was 10/27/14.
Phew, I just made it by enjoying it on 10/19/14!!

Hold on folks; I gave this beer a Yes Yes rating!!

Let the good times roll!!

IPA
Shipwrecked
Egg Harbor, WI

The familiar face of the captain adorns this beer label.

No alc/vol is available.

No label fun is available.

Woe is me!

I drank this IPA on 10/19/14 and rated it So So.

2XONE
Single Varietal Ale (Seasonal)
Southern Tier Brewing Co.
Lakewood, NY

Label fun:
Brewed with 1 variety of hop and 1 type of malt.
Upon close inspection, I was delighted to find several male figures on unicycles on the lower edge of the label.

8.1% alc/vol

Regarding the taste, I gave 2XONE a So So rating.

Hop Whoopin'
Ale
O'So Brewing Co.
Plover, WI

Label fun:
S.M.A.S.H.  95 IBU  INTENSE  FREAKISH  OBNOXIOUS  EXCESSIVE DERANGED
Join the fight against boring beer at OSOBREWING.COM!
Discover the art of freestyle brewing.

No alc/vol is available.

On 10/21/14, I rated Hop Whoopin' as a So So beer.

I must say that I do love the radical adjectives.

Brown & Robust Porter
Wisconsin Brewing Co.
Verona, WI

5.2% alc/vol

Today, 10/21/14, I give this porter a So So rating.

So So isn't a bad rating. This beer relaxed me and helped make it a good day. That's the main thing! That's really all I ask.

Summer Ale
Summit Brewing Co.
St. Paul, Minnesota

Label fun:
Ingredients: water, barley malt, wheat malt, hops
I like the birch trees and the duck on the label.

4.4% alc/vol

I had this beer on 10/22/14 and I couldn't do better than a So So rating. Sorry! 

Outboard
Cream Ale
Milwaukee Brewing Co.
Milwaukee, WI

Label fun:
"That's local flavor."

5.0% alc/vol

I gave Outboard a So So rating, today, 10/23/14. I wasn't thrilled.

The beer name "Outboard", makes me think this may be a seasonal (summer) beer. I found it at the local grocery store a few days ago and I'm drinking it today for fear it's approaching old age. (I'm still researching the subject of beer freshness).


Awards go to:
Hop Whoopin' and Baaad Boy for the cleverest names
2XONE for the most alcohol at a whopping 8.1 % alc/vol
Mirror Pond for the loveliest name, prettiest label and also for a rare Yes Yes rating!! 

CHEERS! 

No comments: