Sunday, November 9, 2014

Beer Journal #31: Smuttynose Brewing Company's VUNDERBAR!, Door County Brewing Company's SILURIAN STOUT & More


Mississippi Blonde Ale
Bent River Brewery, L.L.C.
Rock Island, IL

Label info:
A refreshingly crisp light bodied ale
Get Bent!
The "River Stuff" of Bent River Brewing Company are stubbornly dedicated to producing quality handcrafted beers that capture the true spirit of brewing.

4.2% alc/vol
IBU 14.2

On 11/5/14, I rated this ale So So.

FYI: Although I did get some beers in IL recently, I found this at Woodman's in Beloit.

2XIPA
Double India Pale Ale
Southern Tier Brewing Company
Lakewood, NY

Label info:
Brewed with 4 varieties of hops and 3 types of malts

8.2% alc/vol

So So is the rating I gave this IPA on 11/6/14.

I'm surprised that beer with a high alcohol content isn't more expensive.

Silurian Stout
Milk Stout

Door County Brewing Company
Bailey's Harbor, WI
(Door County)

Label info:
"Most legendary milk stout in all creation!"
"Thrills to come."

I gave this stout a Yes Yes rating on 11/7/14.

A few weeks ago, we visited the brewery where this beer is made. I had a couple of beers earlier in the day, a 4 beer sampler at the brewery, followed by a pint of Silurian Stout. My head was whirling and my stomach was twirling after all that. I laid off all beer for a few days. I avoided my bottle of Silurian Stout for quite some time for obvious reasons. On the 11/7/14, I lifted it off the refrigerator shelf, removed the cap and poured it in a glass. Any fears I'd had evaporated. I'm so glad we're on good terms again.

Fallin' Oates
Oatmeal Amber Ale
Hopothesis Beer Company
Monroe, WI

Label fun:
"Be Enlightened"
"For centuries, we've relied on beer to keep us grounded. That and F=Gm1m2/r2.
Don't take the gravity of this formula lightly, for without it making delicious craft beer is pretty improbable. We here at Hopothesis leveraged this formula to drop in an extra special ingredient, oats.
Our full-bodied amber ale starts with smooth caramel malts, balanced by a backbone of rolled oats, finished with a crisp mix of American and European-style hops. Enjoy it sitting down."

5.5% alc/vol

I enjoyed this oatmeal amber ale on 11/8/14 and gave it a So So rating.

I got a kick out of the arrow on the label following the path of the FALLIN' OATS.

This is the left half of the next featured beer bottle label. The right half follows.

Vunderbar!
Pilsner
Smuttynose Brewing Co.
Hampton, NH

Label fun:
"Make mine a Smutty!"
"Come visit our brewery and restaurant at Towle Farm in Hampton, New Hampshire. And check us out online at smuttynose.com for events, releases and great Smerchandise in our e-store. As always, thanks for saying: Make mine a Smutty!"

I gave Vunderbar a Yes Yes rating today, 11/9/14.

What is there not to like about the humor behind this brewery name, the beer name, the couple featured on the label and the cute furry friend whose bust graces the bottle?!

CHEERS to another week of fine beers....burp, burp. Oh my dear, excuse me!!

No comments: