Sunday, February 15, 2015

Beer Journal #49: PsycHOPath, Brown Shugga', Old Fezziwig Ale, Satin Solitude, Robust Porter & More

Louie's Demise
Amber Ale
Milwaukee Brewing Co.
Milwaukee, WI

I enjoyed this beer on 2/10/15.

On the label I found:

That's local flavor.

Satin Solitude
Imperial Stout
Central Waters Brewing Co.
Amherst, WI

I enjoyed Satin Solitude on 2/11/15.

The label reads like this:
"A liplickingly creamy stout prized for its drinkability, Satin Solitude is crafted with a mix of specialty malts, from caramel and chocolate to roasted barley, to achieve its deep dark appearance and satin-smooth finish. Best enjoyed by a crackling fire on a long winter's night."

ALE,  SUN,  EARTH  AND  SKY 

India Pale Ale
Rush River Brewing Co.
River Falls, WI

I drank this IPA on 2/12/15.

The label held this information:

Unfiltered       Unpasteurized

Bubblejack (under the king's bust)

Ingredients: water, barley, wheat, hops & yeast.

Robust Porter
Smuttynose Brewing Co.
Hampton, NH

On 2/13/15, I selected this beer from my rather large selection cooling in the refrigerator.

Stamped directly on the bottle, I found: Best by 6/08/15 and ABV 6.6%

On the label, I found this request:

"Come visit our brewery and restaurant at Towle Farm in Hampton, New Hampshire. And check us out online at smuttynose.com for events, releases and great Smerchandise in our e-store. As always, thanks for saying:
Make mine a Smutty!"

My input: I appreciate the unique brewery name and the trio on the label.

(I use Label Lift to remove the labels from all of the beers I drink). 

Old Fezziwig Ale
Ale brewed with cinnamon, ginger and orange peel.
The Boston Beer Co.
Boston, MA; Cincinnati, OH; Breinigsville, PA

I selected and enjoyed this ale on 2/13/15.

The labels around the bottle neck and on the front were full of information:

5.9% ALC. BY VOL.

"Old Fezziwig Ale is in the tradition of special seasoned beers for the winter Holidays, and takes its name from the festive character in Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol.' This is a hearty, rich, brownish-red ale that gets its character from large amounts of specialty malts. These roasted caramel and chocolate malts give it a very full body and a smooth taste that's then spiced with a touch of cinnamon, ginger and orange. Happy Holidays!"

My input:

I like that a Charles Dickens character was honored. The festively adorned label is splendid indeed. 

Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale
Ale with natural flavor added
Anderson Valley Brewing Co.
Boonville, CA

Winter Solstice was my second beer on 2/14/15.

Straight from the label:

6.9% Alc. by Vol.

Bahl Hornin' (Good Drinking) since 1987

"Brilliantly clear dark copper color with a dense tan head. Caramelized malty and spicy aromas redolent of cinnamon, allspice, black currant, and black licorice. Pleasantly creamy with a silky body, sweet caramel flavor, hints of seasonal spices and a clean, malty finish."

My input:
A bear with antlers on the label; only in California? 

Brown Shugga'
Sweet Release Ale
Lagunitas Brewing Co.
Petaluma, CA

My first toast to Valentine's Day was made with this sweet release ale on 2/14/15.

As always, I examined the label and wasn't disappointed with my find:

O.G. 1.100    Alc 9.9% by Vol    I.B.U. 51.1

"We believe this Special Ale is Something Unique. Feeding Brown Cane Sugar to otherwise Cultured Brewery Yeast is a'kin to feeding Raw Shark to your Gerbil. It is unlikely to ever occur in nature without Human Intervention. And it looks weird besides. But it has happened and now it's too Late."

Net contents: 12 Fluid Oz's of Malt, Brown Sugar, Hops, Yeast, and Water.

Life is Uncertain. Don't Sip.

My input: What is there not to like about this beer's entertainment value? 

PsycHOPath
Intense Pale Ale
Wisconsin Brewing Company
Verona, WI

I had this pale ale at Grand Avenue Pub-Bar & Grill in downtown Beloit with Lon on this Valentine's Day, 2/14/15.

On the label, I found:

ALC 8% BY VOL    IBU 80

#013

My input: I wonder if my brain looked like the one on the label when I left the pub? It definitely affected my thinking because I forgot to photograph the bottle with its label intact. Before I knew what I was doing, I'd ripped the label off.

Hmmmmmm.

CHEERS!!

1 comment:

Cap said...

Amazing the many different and colorful names for the many beers. It seems there is no end to the names. Fun .. Smiles .. Cap ..