Sunday, April 26, 2009

From Rummage to Riches


Yesterday, we finished up the rummage sale that we started last Saturday. Two consecutive Saturdays proved to be just enough time for us to sell the majority of our excess stuff. The weather cooperated until 1:00 last Saturday but the rest of the day and all day yesterday it rained. It worked for us. We didn't even mind being stuck in the garage selling our stuff since the weather was crummy. Luckily, a whole bunch of folks were stir crazy enough to get out and rummage in the rain. Now that it's behind us, we're glad we put in the time and effort because now our basement is less congested and we can organize the things we use regularly. Less clutter and pockets full of money were our rewards.

Our pockets full of money were emptied long before the cash could wear a hole in the fabric and trickle out. We're losing enough money these days that we wanted to avoid losing more with nothing to show for it. Let me tell you how our rummage turned into riches.

My computer's been extremely slow and hasn't responded positively to anything we've tried to do to fix it. It was inevitable that we needed a new one, we just hadn't been motivated to go out and shop for one. Like I said, we felt the weight of the money straining our pocket seams. Best Buy and Texas Roadhouse are practically next door to each other and just a few miles north of here. We were hungry, I didn't want to cook (imagine that) and you know about our fear regarding our recent extra income.

We deliberated for at least ten seconds before we agreed to hit the road, eat and then shop. We closed the door on the now empty garage (we had already bagged up the leftover rummage stuff and taken it to Goodwill) and headed out.

To make a short story even shorter, we ate dinner and then bought a Toshiba laptop computer. We were still chewing steak when we emptied our pockets at the cash register. The Geek Squad will come to our house and take care of all the setup details on Tuesday afternoon. From then on, I'll have the freedom to go anywhere in the house and on the screen porch and pursue my favorite hobby while I'm there.

Hmmmmm. Now I'm wondering if there's a way I can bike, run and swim with my laptop. I don't ask for much, in fact, I'll give the computer developers another year or so to figure that trick out.


6 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay! What wonderful news! I am so happy to hear of the new laptop that I can barely stand it. That must have been some rummage sale, and I missed it. Darn!

Imagine how much more writing you'll do because you can now do it from ANYWHERE. Ohhhhhh I am so happy to hear this!

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the freedom to move about, and no big deal about where to write because, as a friend of mine is fond of saying, "Indecision is the key to flexibility."

Annie said...

How wonderful! Our local cable company hooked us up with wireless. I love having the freedom to take the laptop anywhere in the house. I also wanted to thank you for the encouraging comments you have left on my post. They really helped a lot! I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't recommend jogging with a laptop. Really. Not wise.

But you're gonna enjoy the freedom, I tell ya! Congrats on your rummage sale. I would've celebrated the exact same way . . . in I town I know of where Best Buy is right next to Texas Road House. Are we neighbors????

Walk said...

Ok, I'm jealous. I guess I'm going to have to sell some of my good stuff so I can upgrade my 5 year old laptop. But then I'd have to replace my good stuff with better stuff....I think it'd be cheaper just to buy the laptop. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Anonymous said...

Tatamorireete TatamorireeteJB
Jason Pierre-Paul Jersey
Authentic Von Miller Jersey
Alex Smith Jersey