Monday, April 27, 2009

Smokie Links, Raspberries and Ice Cream


Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. Oh, excuse me. I'm just warming up before I get into the meat and potatoes of this post.
Okay. Now for the meat and potatoes. On second thought, let me offer you something else. Let's turn our attention to the smokie links wrapped in ketchup and Roman Meal bread, the macaroni and cheese and the canned peas we had for supper. Guess who's night it was to cook? I can guarantee you that it wasn't mine, although I did heat up the peas. Do you know how many fat grams there are in a smokie link? I didn't bother to pull the wrapper out of the wastebasket this evening to disgust myself. I didn't want to be reminded; I think it's right up there around 20.

My husband, Lon, is a big fan of foods that taste really good. I tend to prepare meals that are nutritious and not always so tasty. I have to admit that lately I've been a slacker. I haven't been as concerned as I used to be about eating only the good-for-you foods. I usually get our weekly groceries, but for a while now I haven't. I wile my time away in more selfish activities such as writing, reading or exercising. The refrigerator and cupboards have been quite bare under my watch. Instead of complaining (or starving), Lon takes on the task, makes a list (even asking me if I have any input) and does the shopping.

As long as Lon's getting the groceries, I can't be too critical of what fills the brown bags that he dumps on the kitchen table. Without fail, one holds two gallons of vanilla ice cream, always Schoep's, and half a dozen packages of frozen Birds Eye Deluxe Whole Red Raspberries in a Delicious Syrup. Around 8:00 every evening, that's our dessert, not once in a while, but every single evening.

Yeah, it's been great. I have to admit that those smokie links truly hit the spot. And our evening snack, why, I gotta love the guy who makes it possible. Yup, he's a keeper.

One of these days, I'll start dragging myself to the grocery store again and I'll take us back to more healthy eating. Of course, I won't rush into it; it could be a shock to our systems. Meanwhile, it's getting close to 8:00. I hate to rush off but my mouth is watering.

Life is good.
Ohhhh...yeah...



2 comments:

Walk said...

I believe I'll add some raspberries to the shopping list, with ice cream of course.

Anonymous said...

Auntie Babe being an old hand at wireless lap top is here to tell you unpluging your laptop will not loose your Blog, you can have it off for approx. 2 hours. We enjoyed the raspberries and ice cream last night, what a find.