Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The News in Shaddy's World




Here's our thirty-year old kitchen countertop. It's still in fine shape but we're definitely ready for a change.

























It's time to devote a post to a little of this and a little of that. So ready or not, here's what's up in Shaddy's world. Feel free to pick and choose what interests you or skip this entirely and go to on to something else. I'll understand, but I won't necessarily like it. Whaaaa!


1. I had an excellent WORKOUT this afternoon at NorthPointe that went like this:
a. I warmed up on the elliptical trainer for 10 minutes.
b. A lower body weight machine workout followed.
c. I grabbed my sunglasses and went outside to run. I planned to run at least one mile but
felt good enough to run three.
d. Lane swimming in the pool was a perfect form of exercise to finish my workout.

2. We picked out a new kitchen COUNTERTOP and measurements were taken this afternoon. In a
few weeks, the extremely old (approximately 30 years old) saddle-colored one will be
replaced by a granite-look countertop in a variegated pattern of black, browns and ivory.
Why we've updated everything else but hung on to that is beyond me. We can't wait for
the new look.

3. CORN-ON-THE-COB has replaced our daily bread. From last week until who knows when,
that's the veggie we'll enjoy nearly every day. The corn we buy is so good that I don't
add butter or salt; I eat it bare-naked, the corn that is. I mean, the corn's naked, but I'm
fully dressed. Sheesh!

4. The WINE I'm tipping this week is Barefoot Shiraz. I do take my shoes off for that.

5. We added another BIRDHOUSE to our indoor collection. We came across it in a shop in
Lake Geneva. I had no trouble agreeing to bring that one home; often, I just roll
my eyes when Lon starts eyeing more birdhouses.

6. When I'm thirsty for a carbonated DRINK, I opt for a fruit juice and club soda mixture.
It's nutritious and a real thirst quencher.

7. I picked up the tomatoes at a roadside stand. I could nearly live on BLTs in the
summer. Dad's tomatoes were the best, but these will have to do.
*
That's the news for now. Crumple up the newspaper and go on out and build a campfire; try it, you'll like it.

15 comments:

Jana said...

I enjoyed your this and that post! After such a great workout, I'm sure you were energized. I could feel your energy all the way over here.
I do like the summer veggies, too. But, I still like to eat my corn wearing a little butter and salt-- I mean the corn.
Thanks for the tips on the wine, and the fruit juice with club soda.
Have a great rest of the week.

Anonymous said...

I love BLTs, add a little avocado and that makes them all the better.

Oh I wish I could get new counter tops, mine are as old as yours and a yucky puke orange. Enjoy them for both of us. :)

Gullible said...

Oh, man. Fresh corn on the cob. Sigh. And it comes at a time when I'm writing about freeze-dried food.

Vanessa Wolfram said...

Naked ha ha you make me laugh! I LOVE corn on the cob and now since I'm craving some I just might have to pick some up for supper tomorrow :)

Cheryl Peters said...

JANA: You're right. I was energized until around 9PM when I was sitting with GREAT EXPECTATIONS open on my lap. I struggled until 9:30 and then hit the sack.

DAYNER: I'll ship our used countertop to you; it'll seem new to you and will give you relief from the color you're living with and aren't particularly fond of.

GULLY: Shucks, (pun intended) no fresh corn-on-the-cob available in Alaska?

CHEERIFIC: Yes, indeed. Run out and fetch some corn; I love the crunch, crunch sound that echoes in my head as my teeth attack those little kernels and pop them open. Then I sit back and savor the sweet juice that slides across my taste buds. Ahhh.....

Linda McMann said...

Sounds like a lovely day with lots of healthy stuff to do and eat and a reward of a new countertop soon!
I did get a chuckle out of eating naked corn and drinking barefoot wine.
I'm happy to report I have ONE ripe tomato on my vines today. It's supposed to be 85 here today, so maybe a few others will redden up soon.

Cheryl Peters said...

PARROT: My dad always had a huge garden with lots and lots of good vegetables. I especially miss the tomatoes.

Your warm weather sure should help your tomatoes on their way to your table.

Is it humid in Oregon? We're living with heat AND humidity here in southern Wisconsin. I'm not a fan of the stickiness but I'm trying to reprogram my attitude. Compared to the blustery winter weather we get, I MUST try to befriend our summer weather. Why fight it?

Anonymous said...

I swear, girl, we share some of the same DNA!

In my fridge is about 12 ears of Sweet White Corn, which is in season in Florida.

Shiraz happens to be my all-time favorite wine and I think I’ve tried almost every vineyard that falls below the $20.00 a bottle range.

To top it all off, we rarely drink soda and cranberry juice is always in full supply with a minimum of four bottles in the panty right next to the apple juice, grape juice and grapefruit juice. All of which are also adequately supplied. Now I’ve never tried mixing it with soda water. I think I’ll give that a try. Sounds like it just might fix the boys craving for something fizzy.

Cheryl Peters said...

DARKSCULPTURES: I bet the boys and you would love club soda added to your variety of juices. It works for me when I just have to have something fizzy.

It appears we are two peas in a pod. That's fun!

Gullible said...

For many years it has been a carved-in-stone rule: anyone coming to visit friends and/or relatives in Alaska during the summer months MUST bring suitcases full of corn on the cob, tomatoes, and peaches. In return, we take/send salmon and halibut out.

Cheryl Peters said...

GULLY: That sounds like a win/win situation for all involved.

I feel bad that you're not able to scarf down sweet corn like we are. I guess we'll just have to make a trip up (don't I wish!) for the sole purpose of treating you to one of summer's greatest pleasures.

Beth said...

Sounds like a meeting of the Barefoot Bandit fan club! Those tomatoes look like I could pluck them right off the screen.

Been a long time, Shaddy. Just wanted to let you know I'm blogging again, but in a different spot. The link is on the comment sig. To say your blog has blossomed is a HUGE understatement. It's beautiful and vibrant!!

Natasha said...

Fun to get a glimpse into the Life of Shaddy!

Yum on the fresh corn and tomatoes. We have a GREAT farmers' market Saturday mornings and I hit it after yoga.

I dunno -- I kinda like the naked corn eating myself.

I love seltzer mixed with fruit juices. I also mix seltzer half and half with chardonnay in the summer; it's the best.

Good luck with your countertops. I'm hoping to re-do ours one of these days.

Cheryl Peters said...

ELIZABETH: I'll be visiting your blog ASAP. It'll be fun to read about what's going on in your life again.

NATASHA: We also have a farmer's market on Sat. mornings but I never make it there. Duh! I'm usually working out at that time.

I'll have to try seltzer with juice and wine. Another fun fizz idea.

I can't believe we're finally changing countertops! It's going to be a drastic change and we're both excited about it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, look at all the good ideas in the comments too!

Congrats on the new countertop, how fun is that? It's always fun doing a little decorating project like that. The bird house is fabulous!

I need one of those BLTs about now. It's 8:30 and I haven't eaten dinner. A BLT with some corn on the cob? Yummmmmmm.