Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Glimpses of Summer at Shaddy's

This plant is in a plastic pouch that Lon attached to one of his birdhouse posts.

Blossoms on a St. John's Wort shrub on our berm add bright color.

I've plucked hundreds of these little rascals, mostly dome-shaped ones from the grass.

Our river birch has some rough and shaggy bark; I like it.
 

These impatiens thrive in the shade.  If the hot sun gets to them, they wilt and my heart breaks at the sight of them.  They always perk up again and I breathe a sigh of relief.


A rustic planter holds these sweeties.

Fireworks!!

An order of coneflowers on the side... 

"...Listen up, smarty pants.  I used to be pretty too when I was young."

So this is what it looks like to a bee.




Don't forget me!!


I'd sure like to know how that chipmunk got up on our birdbath.  Maybe after watching the birds, he learned how to fly!


We added this variegated grass plant to the border around our screen porch this year.

We're getting grass after our septic repair excavation.  Compare this to the photo below. 

A few weeks ago, we had straw covered dirt and grass seed to look at!!

Enjoy your summer days.  They're precious. 

4 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

gHow beautiful as always! I think the fireworks and the coneflowers are my favorite. And their is nothing like bringing some in for some brighting of the day. Do they yield enough for clipping? I can tell your proud of your yard.....as you should be:)

Linda McMann said...

Love your pink coneflowers! They are so pretty, even when they lose some of their spunk. Your red impatients add a great color spot to your beautiful green yard!

Gullible said...

Don't you just have to admire the impatiens aka blooming idiots? Did you know that in Hawaii they grow tall enough to be hedges?

Cheryl Peters said...

MADDIE: Fireworks is just my description of the look of the flowers in the photo, not the name of the flower!! I don't want to lead you astray regarding floral nomenclature!!

I could probably clip some but since I'm outside more than inside, I leave them right where they grow.

You're right--I am proud of my yard. I'm so obsessed with it, it scares me sometimes!! Thanks for being a regular here and for cheering me on. You're a dear.

LINDA: Perhaps you can advise me. I know I'm supposed to dead head the coneflowers but I'm not sure how nasty they should look before I do so. I cut a few off down the stem a few inches yesterday--the petals that hang down had turned yellow so that was an indication to me that they should go. I value your opinion and your kind words.

GULLY: Blooming idiots is right!! I didn't know they grow monstrous in Hawaii but I'm not entirely surprised. Now I'm off to read your latest journal post.