Thursday, March 12, 2015

Beer Journal #55: Winter Skal, Sucks, Big Slick, Beyond the Pale & More

Winter Skal
Capital Brewery
Middleton, WI

I drank Winter Skal on 3/8/15. I bought this bottle in the gift shop at Capital Brewery on 3/7.

Bottle label info:

5.8% ALC./VOL.

"A full bodied beer with a warm amber hue showing off its rich malt body. Mildly bittered, featuring a hop presence that compliments and rounds out the malt overtones."

My thoughts:
The shades of blue on the label...YES!  

Black Iron
India Black Ale
Milwaukee Brewing Co.
Milwaukee, WI

I popped the cap off this beer and savored this ale on 3/9/15.

Black Iron weighs in at a hefty 7.4% Alc. by Vol.

Sucks
Brown Shugga' Substitute Ale
Lagunitas Brewing Co.
Petaluma, CA

I learned on 3/10/15 that Sucks ale does NOT suck. It rocks!

The entertaining label reads like this:

E.K. Ross would have enjoyed our suffering in 2010 when we saw we couldn't brew our Brown Shugga. But in that time of deepest despair, as is common to artists everywhere...broke, hungover, abandoned by the muse and prepared to take a job at Arby's, we found in that darkness the spark of inspiration that would yield up this nearly sanctified recipe!

7.85% ALC. BY VOL.
O.G. 1.085       I.B.U. 63.21

Beer Speaks. People Mu mble.

My input:

I researched this beer and discovered that due to the brewery's construction induced capacity issues, they were unable to brew their Brown Shugga beer. They substituted with this recipe and its popularity required that it be brought back for a curtain call.

Beyond the Pale
IPA
Stevens Point Brewery
Stevens Point, WI

On 3/10/15, I went beyond the pale with this IPA.

The label says:

IPA with Galaxy Hops

Point  *  Well Made
  
Big Slick
Stout
Ale Asylum
Madison, WI

I hung out with Big Slick on 3/11/15 and loved every minute of it.

Label words of wisdom:

7% ALC. BY VOL.

Copious amounts of dark and sweet malt give our stout aromas of coffee and a rich, creamy mouthfeel with a dry finish. Big Slick is brewed with passion and is best enjoyed that way. 

Maibock
Capital Brewery
Middleton, WI

I savored this bock beer on 3/11/15 after a hard day's work. Not that hard but 8 hours is 8 hours. Right?

Label facts:

6.2% ALC. BY VOL.

Our spring seasonal is a deep golden lager with a flavorful but smooth malt presence. When you see our Maibock hit the shelves you know things are about to get better...including the weather!

Live
Bottle Conditioned Pale Ale
Southern Tier Brewing Co.
Lakewood, NY

Today, 3/12/15, I pulled this beer from the refrigerator, poured it in my glass and life immediately got better.

Label stats:

5.5% ALC./VOL.

Brewed with 4 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts.

Contains yeast. We recommend decanting into a glass.

My input:

I didn't know what decanting means so I looked it up and learned it means to pour from one container to another without disturbing the sediment. Yay! I just keep getting smarter.

CHEERS to BEERS!! 

1 comment:

Cap said...

Black Iron .. what amazing names these brewers come up with. I have a friend in Petaluma who has himself done some private brewing I believe .. Smiles ..