Saturday, April 14, 2012

Huge Maple Seed Clusters

Can you believe this? 

I've never before seen such large clumps of maple seeds, have you?  I'd be shocked and awed if one of these seed bundles dropped on my head while working in the yard.

I googled "maple seeds" and found out that the seed inside the whirlygig is edible!  I dug a seed out and ate it.  It was a little bitter but according to the website boiling would fix that.  They can also be baked and salted.  Now all I need is a ton of patience to remove all the seeds from their "helicopters."  I think I'll eat peas instead. 

But who knew?   

4 comments:

Cheryl Peters said...

Is there anything unusual in your yard?

Natasha Alexander said...

Just think of all the maple syrup you'll be able to make in about 200 years!

Natasha Alexander said...

Hey! I can comment from my preferred browser (Firefox) again.

Cheryl Peters said...

NATASHA: Oh goody on both counts!