Saturday, July 13, 2019

My Quest To Save Monarch Butterflies, Part 6

The stripes are becoming visible on this very young caterpillar but the colors aren't distinct yet.

Spunky is a day older and thus his stripes stand out clearly.

Yellow, black and white hues have Hitch Hiker looking cute as can be. He got his name by getting a ride as an egg to the screenporch on a leaf I intended to feed bigger caterpillars. Thankfully, I noticed the egg and secluded it.
Wouldn't it be glorious to be nestled among these beautiful buds?


I bet that bud is tender and sweet.


Caterpillars go through 5 growing stages called instars. They outgrow and shed their face caps and skin when they advance to the next stage. This "cat" is about to lose its face cap.

In my next post, I'll share photos of more caterpillars as they mature.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Such beautiful images!

Cheryl Peters said...

Thanks,Jill.