Saturday, July 13, 2019

My Quest To Save Monarch Butterflies, Part 5



After leaving its egg and wandering for a bit,  a newborn caterpillar returns to the egg and consumes it, gaining valuable nutrients in its first meal.

This "cat" has learned that milkweed leaves are good food too.


They are extremely small at first. Do you see it at the lower right? Yes, I named my "pets" to help me keep track of them and for the fun of it.

...empty egg and newly hatched "butterfly to be" baby...

Do you see the tiny black dot to the left of the leaf? That's the head of this newborn. The body is barely visible against the white paper towel.  I kept busy returning wandering babies to their milkweed leaves.

The regular size paperclip proves how tiny this baby is.

My next post will show you the growing caterpillars as they progress through maturing stages.

No comments: