Friday, January 10, 2020

I'm Not As Young As I Used To Be

Once upon a time, I was young.
Seventy years passed since that picture was taken. I don't recall anyone asking me to please pass the years. They independently went by in the blink of an eye.

I made a rather unexpected decision and retired less than 2 months ago. It would seem to be a perfect opportunity to slow down. My problem is that I am overwhelmed with all the choices I have to fill my days. I'm not good, yet, at pacing myself. I'm like a kid in a candy store. Everywhere I look, I see something that attracts me. Thus, I'm rushing from one thing to another, filling my cart to the brim.

Today, I awakened with plans to go to the Y's Way to Fitness class. I climbed out of bed at 5:30 and within about half an hour, I realized that exercising wasn't appealing at all. I've spent all morning, moving from chair to chair to couch to couch. I've been on my cell phone, laptop and i pad between many, many moments when I put my head down on a pillow or curled up in my chair.

Why? Because yesterday, I participated in an extra challenging one hour pilates class and then spent over an hour playing racquetball. A few months ago, daily leisurely walks were the only exercising I did. Oh, I should mention that I worked out in the Y's Way class on Monday followed by racquetball and then on Tuesday, I exercised my body with pilates and racquetball and a one hour walk. Wednesday I rested, hallelujah.

I really do need to pace myself. I need to think before I act. I need to prioritize. I need to do a lot of things differently.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Excuse me, it's nap time again.  

     

2 comments:

Cap said...

I retired at age 53 some 30 years ago. When I retired, friends told me it would take about two (2) years for me to become fully retired in the mental and spiritual realms. For me this proved to be pretty accurate. I never went through anything even vaguely resembling taking-it-easy and sitting-back-and-relaxing. I think at age 70 you may be well advised to pace-yourself but in my opinion you will never go wrong pusuing activities that involve exercise and well being. Retirement is an on going activity and not an event.

IF you ever get to the Dinky Diner up in Rhinelander, be sure to tell Rick (a retired Mayo Clinic, Rochester MD) and his wife Terrie hello from Cap and Patti from Alaska. The below link is page 3 of their reviews and at the bottom is my review.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60229-d4719105-Reviews-or20-R_T_s_Dinky_Diner-Rhinelander_Wisconsin.html

On Trip Advisor I am Kanbaatar from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.

Smiling .. Cap and Patti

Cheryl Peters said...

Cap and Patti,
Thank you for your generous comment. You certainly don’t sit back and watch the world go by. I don’t plan on doing that either, although my idea of adventure is my ch different from yours.

I doubt we’ll go to Dinky Diner. I do appreciate your suggestion and info anyway. I won’t say we won’t and I won’t say we will. I made a note of it and if I can twist Lon’s arm, it could happen.

Go Pack Go,,,👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍😍😍😍😍😍😍🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈